Makes 8 to 10 servings:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- Sweetener such as Truvia, stevia extract, or Splenda equivalent to 1 cup sucrose
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Truvia, 1/8 teaspoon stevia extract powder, or 1/4 cup granulated Splenda
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x9 inch or 10x10 inch baking pan.
- To make the cake: Combine the coconut flour, sweetener, orange zest, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix by hand.
- Beat together the eggs, melted butter or coconut oil, sour cream, coconut milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the coconut flour mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the carrots and pecans by hand. Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for one hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, and sweetener in a bowl and blend thoroughly.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake.