Makes 2 servings:
1 head of garlic
extra virgin olive oil (as needed)
½ pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon ground pecans or almonds
½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel off the papery layers from the garlic head, and then slice off the top ¼ inch to expose the garlic cloves.
- Place the head of garlic in the center of a square of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Seal the garlic in the foil and place it in a shallow pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the foil and let cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring, until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the ground pecans or almonds and then the onion powder.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins into the pan. Continue to cook the asparagus, stirring, until the asparagus is crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.